So the last week I’ve been pretty sick (you now know why there weren’t any updates), and the reason behind that, was the awful, awful heat wave that has affected our city! All I did was venture out in the afternoon, and in return, I was dehydrated for a couple of days.
Dehydration sounds like something you can get over in an hour, but it’s not. It can potentially chain you to bed for a few days, and here affect your stomach, give you click the worst headaches, and bring about the kind of click fatigue that will ensure you’ll be unable to get up and get moving!
It was while I was in bed when I was thinking about how brides (and generally women who have work to do) were going around in the afternoon. I’ve learned my lesson the hard way, so here are some tips on how you can beat the heat this summer!
- USE A SUNSCREEN: This is non-negotiable. You must, at least 20 minutes before stepping out of the house, wear sunscreen. Choose an SPF that fits with your skin – I only recently learned that the fairer you are, the higher the SPF you should choose. Given the heat in Chennai, though, I think an SPF of around 30-40 is a bare minimum requirement. I presently use the Lotus Matte Gel Sunscreen because it forms a nice base for my make up too.
- SHOP BEFORE 11 AM OR AFTER 5 PM: Yes, we know you have a ton of work to do, you’re a busy busy bride and you need to wrap up your shopping! If you can help it, it’s best to start shopping around 4.30 to 5PM when the worst of the sun has passed. Just…don’t venture out when it’s boiling outside. If you must…
- CARRY A BOTTLE OF WATER AT ALL TIMES: Don’t go anywhere without a bottle of water. It should be 500 ml, at least. Also remember that the summer will make you sweat more, so 8 glasses of water a day won’t cut it. You will need at least 12 glasses of water a day to stay sane and hydrated in an Indian summer!
- CONSIDER A NIGHT CREAM: Now most of us apply sunscreen during the mornings before work etc and generally consider it done. Sunscreen needs to be reapplied every 4 hours to be super effective, so the truth is that the sun will have definitely caused some kind of damage during the night. Give your skin some TLC during the night with a night treatment that will help repair your skin, like this one from Forest Essentials.
- MINIMIZE MAKEUP: The thing about makeup is that in order for it to be as perfect as possible (especially when there are going to freaking HD cameras all around your face on your wedding day), your skin needs to be in good shape. In the days leading up to your wedding, especially when it’s a summer wedding, stop wearing layers and layers of makeup because when you sweat (which you will, let’s get real ladies), there’s a 90% chance that your makeup will melt into your pores, clog it, and bring about zits. If you feel like you absolutely need the coverage, consider a BB or CC Cream instead which will be light.
Those are my top tips on how to stay sane this summer! What are yours?