The best kind of shopping for me, wedding or otherwise, happens in exhibitions. The designers who come over are usually from other cities and have incredibly interesting clothes. The jewellery and sarees I wear which get the most compliments and the “Excuse me, but where did you get that?” questions from total strangers are almost always the ones I picked up from exhibitions!
As a rule I usually try to not miss two Chennai exhibitions – The Arti Bagdy exhibitions, and the Vimonisha exhibitions. They’ve a really great selection of stalls who have very unique clothes and accessories, that also reflect the current trends. It’s also awesome that most stalls have crazy pretty clothes at very affordable prices. At the Arti Bagdy Rakhi Collezzione which was last month, for example, my sister, snagged a really cute (semi) raw silk crop top – maxi/lehenga combination for under 6k! The best part was that the lovely lady at the stall let us mix and match any crop top with any skirt. The Rakhi Collezzione unfortunately is over, but there is a Diwali Luxury exhibition coming up, so do make sure to follow their pages and mark your calendars!
This is the list of exhibitions in Chennai that are happening this month (there are a few in August, too) and which caught my eye (surely we can’t have the time for everything now!), are:
- Tana Bana Benarasi Weaves: This is an exhibition I’m excited about! Beautiful Benarasi dupattas, stoles and sarees are available for sale. This exhibition is by the same people who run Art Karat (I think), so it’s not going to be inexpensive by any means, but there’s a sure chance that you can score an heirloom piece. It’s happening on the 15th of July at The Rutland Gate Studio. You can follow the event/set a reminder using Facebook, here.
- The Funky Fish Pop-Up: Although I wasn’t able to go to the previous ones, I did read some rave reviews about them. The Funky Fish Pop-Up promises some great, affordable modern Indian design wear, so if you’re looking for clothes and accessories with an edge (or twist), you should definitely be checking this one out. It’s happening on the 23rd of July at The Hyatt Regency, and you can follow the event/set a reminder using Facebook, here.
- Timeless Treasures: If you’re looking for something more traditional, the Timeless Treasures exhibition may be the answer! Indian jewellery, Kurtas, Stoles and Sarees await you on the 23rd of July at The Rutland Gate Studio. Given the way this exhibition has been advertised, my feeling is that it’s going to be a lot more relaxed than the ones we’ve been used to. Sometimes less is more. You can follow the event/set a reminder using Facebook, here.
- Vimonisha Pre-Festive Exhibition: Vimonisha exhibitions always have exciting up and coming Indian designers, and their pre-festive exhibitions are perfect for snapping up some unique wedding/event related outfits and accessories! The exhibition is on the 1st and 2nd of August, at Hyatt Regency. You can follow the event/set a reminder using Facebook, here.
- By The Hand, From The Heart: One of my favourite exhibitions in Chennai is the By The Hand, From The Heart exhibition purely for its eclectic spread of products. The stuff on exhibition is always hand made, and very unique. You can snap up unique bags, jewellery, stationery, dupattas, apparel, home made preserves and jams, and much more. The next edition of By The Hand, From The Heart is on 5th & 6th August at Hotel Crowne Plaza. You can follow the event/set a reminder using Facebook, here.
Do you shop at exhibitions? Which ones in Chennai do you recommend, and what do you end up shopping for?